RSOs wishing to hold fundraising activities or sales on campus must demonstrate that the activity itself serves an educational purpose, and that any proceeds either will further the goals of the organization, provide additional programs for the student body or benefit a charitable organization.

Fundraising Guidelines

  • The activities must be student-initiated and student controlled.
  • The student initiating the fundraising or sales must be one of the five officers or designated representatives of the organization.
  • It must be assured that no monetary gain will accrue to individual members of the organization.
  • The activity itself must provide a benefit to students at the University of Washington.
  • The goals of the event must be appropriate and in accordance with the intention of University policy as stated above.
  • A workable plan to monitor cash exchange and disbursement of proceeds must be devised and reviewed.
  • For any fundraising or sales activities conducted in the past, the organization must have completed all necessary paperwork and abided by appropriate University policies and procedure.
  • If the activity involves working with a charitable organization, a letter of acceptance or acknowledgment of the activity will be required.

There are several ways recognized as fundraising on campus, all designed to help your student organization acquire proceeds as follows:

  • Raise funds to cover your expenses such as charging admission to a lecture, event, concert or other type of program or service.
  • Raise funds to acquire proceeds to share with a charitable organization.
  • Raise funds by selling goods or services to members of the campus community.
  • Raise funds by having your event or program be paid for by an off-campus commercial sponsor.
  • program be paid for by an off-campus commercial sponsor.
  • Raise funds by selling raffle tickets.
  • Raise funds by selling non-commercial, prep-packaged food items.

Please Note: Organizations may use funds raised for anything that is consistent with the purpose and goals of the organization. It is suggested that organizations DO NOT use self-generated funds for personal gain.

Examples of Fundraisers

  • Items for sale, produced by the organization (candy grams, gift baskets, flower bouquets, bake sales, etc.)
  • Items for sale, directly related to the organization’s mission or goals (plant sale by an organization with the mission of promoting green activities)
  • Items for sale, directly promoting school spirit (but do not infringe upon University trademark policies)
  • Services for sale, in compliance with the
  • Admission fee for student programs/events (benefit dinner, talent competition, etc.)
  • Pre-packaged items (candy, gum)
  • Resale of items (Silent Auction, “Garage” sale) donated to the organization

Approval Process for Fundraisers

  1. RSO Officer: Complete the Fundraising Information Worksheet.
  2. RSO Officer: Meet with SAO Adviser at least two weeks in advance before the fundraiser to review the fundraising proposal along with relevant University policies and procedures.
  3. SAO Adviser: Will issue Student Organization Sales and Fund Raising Permit requiring approval signatures from facility/area manager, SAO Adviser, and, in some cases, the Assistant Director of Student Activities.
  4. If approved, a copy of the signed permit must be at the site of the sale or fund raising activity.
  5. RSO Officer: After the activity is completed, meet with your SAO adviser and submit a written report with any necessary documentation, as stated on the fund raising permit.

Charitable Fundraisers

  1. Obtain the approval from the Charity. Provide SAO Adviser with an official letter or an email from the Charity that states they approve the event or service your student organization will perform on their behalf.
  2. Written or email approval from the UW facility manager. And in some cases, the facility manager’s signature must be included on your fundraising form.
  3. Submit event budget and expenditure estimates to the SAO Adviser
  4. Ticket sellers from the HUB Ticket Crew may need to be hired for this event. The HUB Ticket Crew is paid to professionally monitor and collect the funds for the event on behalf of your RSO.
  5. At least two RSO members must be present to monitor fundraising activities at all times.
  6. After the event, provide the SAO Adviser copies of bank-deposit slips showing fundraising activity revenues.
  7. After the event, provide the SAO Adviser with a copy of a receipt or statement from charity acknowledging gift.
  8. Schedule an evaluation meeting with your SAO advisor following your fundraiser. TBA


Raffles are strictly regulated in the state of Washington under the Washington State Gambling Act. Only certain charitable or nonprofit organizations can conduct raffles without first obtaining a gambling license.

RSOs may conduct raffles on campus only if the organization qualifies and its proposed raffle follows specified requirements. Please note that one of the officers of the organization planning to hold a raffle on campus must meet with an adviser in the Student Activities Office at least three weeks prior to starting the raffle. As raffles are considered a form of fundraising, they would fall under the same procedure and regulations as stated above under fundraising.

Food Sales

  1. The sale of food not commercially prepared and wrapped requires clearance from the Environmental Health and Safety Office, 201 Hall Health Center, 206-543-9510. See Table of Contents, “Serving Food on Campus.”
  2. RSOs planning to sell items are responsible for obtaining the appropriate city and state businesses licenses and pay state tax (contact the Seattle Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs, 206-684-8484).

Alcohol Industry Co-Sponsorships

Any student organization accepting gifts or funds from alcoholic beverage distributors or producers for organization activities must receive approval from the Use of University Facilities Committee.

Policy Reference

Fundraising Forms

All forms are located in RSO Directory. Additionally, some fundraising permits are located on the RSO Forms page.