An Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is issued by the Internal Revenue Service and is used to identify a business entity or organization. RSOs will be asked to provide an EIN most commonly when opening a bank account.

The Student Activities Office strongly encourages all RSOs with an EIN to save any documentation from the Internal Revenue Service regarding their EIN and to share that information accordingly among their officers, especially when officers transition.

Off-Campus Banking

Each bank has varying requirements for opening or updating bank account information. SAO can provide a letter of verification for your organization that confirms that your organization is currently registered and identifies officers who registered your organization. This letter can be used to open an account or update signature authorization on an existing account. Contact to request a letter on behalf of your RSO.

Non-Profit Status

Note: Non-profit or Not-for-Profit status requires being registered with the State of Washington. Additionally, Non-Profits in WA state may also be required to register separately with the Charities Programs if they fundraise from the public. Donations made to an RSO are NOT tax-deductible for the donor under non-profit status.

Tax-Exempt Status

Note: RSOs are legally independent and autonomous from the University and therefore do not have access to the University’s tax-exempt status.